It’s a fantasy that muscle, power, and endurance require the consumption of huge quantities of animal meals. This fantasy began earlier than anybody even talked about protein. Through the Olympics, it is a good time to try some superb athletes who’re champions and vegetarians:
Charlene wong is a determine skating champion who represented Canada on the 1988 Calgary Olympics. She began competing at age 6 and in 1980 was named to the Canadian staff and represented Canada on the world junior championships. It has been highlighted in The vegetarian sports activities vitamin information by Lisa Dorfman.AdsAds
Paavo nurmi, a Finnish runner, had been a vegetarian for the reason that age of 12. He’s usually thought-about the best monitor and area athlete of all time. A protracted-distance runner, he competed within the 1920, 1924 and 1928 Olympic Video games, successful 12 Olympic medals.Ads
- Chris Campbell, wrestler, skilled for the 1980 Olympics however didn’t take part within the boycott of the 1980 Moscow Olympics. At 37, he returned to coaching and secured a spot on the US staff , successful a bronze medal on the 1992 Olympics, turning into the oldest American to ever win a medal in Olympic wrestling. He says, “I maintain my physique. I do not eat meat and do yoga day by day. It makes a distinction.
- Carl lewis, a vegan athlete, received 10 Olympic medals, together with 9 gold, in a profession that spanned from 1979 to 1996, competing for america. He mentioned that “most athletes have the world’s worst food regimen and compete regardless of it.”
- Surya bonaly, skilled determine skater, represented France on the 1992, 1994 and 1998 Olympics. She can also be now an American citizen. A vegetarian, she has appeared in PETA commercials protesting the hunt for child seals in Canada and the fur commerce in English and French.
- Debbie Laurent, vegetarian walker, has been a three-time Olympian (1992, 1996 and 2000) and holds the world report within the ladies’s 5 km stroll. She attributes her success to exhausting work and a vegetarian food regimen.
- Murray rose, a vegetarian by delivery, has six Olympic medals. He was born in 1939 in Nairn, Scotland, however moved to Australia very early together with his household. He was Olympic champion on the age of seventeen. He was recognized for his vegetarianism throughout his profession, which earned him the nickname “The Seaweed Streak”. He competed within the Olympics from 1956 to 1960, successful six medals.
- Al Oerter, discus thrower, received 4 Olympic gold medals for america – in 1956, 1960, 1964. He was additionally an summary painter.
- Edwin Moses, a hurdler for america, is a gold medalist who spent eight years with out dropping the 400-meter hurdles. Throughout his profession he received two Olympic gold medals. After retiring from athletics, he competed in a 1990 Bobsleigh World Cup race in Germany and received the bronze medal two-way with US Olympian Brian Shimer. Edwin Moses is a vegetarian.
- Leroy burrell, sprinter, twice set the world report within the 100 meters. He received a gold medal for america in 1992 in Barcelona. He is a vegetarian.
As reported in “Vegetarian Diets” by the Worldwide Heart for Sports activities Diet, Olympic Coach Journal, Winter 1997:
“If care is taken to incorporate all kinds of meals, vegetarian diets may be nutritionally sufficient to help athletic efficiency.”
“Whether or not a person is a leisure or world-class athlete, being a vegetarian doesn’t diminish pure expertise or athletic efficiency. As early as the traditional Video games, Greek athletes skilled on the vegetarian food regimen and demonstrated unbelievable potential in aggressive athletics. “Ads
Taking a look at these 10 vegetarian Olympians, it is clear that the necessity to eat meat to be sturdy and a champion is a fantasy. A whole plant-based food regimen will give an athlete all the nice vitamin they have to be a winner.