Originally, the concept of a swim spa was created in the early 70s as a pool alternative to swimming pools. With passing days, that primitive technology was improvised and perfected to the spas that we are aware of in today's times.
Swim spa equipment is described as a hybrid between a hot tub and a swimming pool. Its size ranges between the two of these equipments and can be often used as heated or unheated, and outdoors and indoors. It is also commonly called as endless pools or swimming machines. This versatile piece of equipment poses out to be the best pool alternative that focuses on providing relaxation, exercise, training and lot of fun in the water.
How does it function?
These spas work on the phenomenon of swimming against the current. Due to the limited size of the equipment water jets are installed inside the pool to accelerate the water and keep the swimmer stationary while they exercise and work out their different strokes. Swimmers find this method ideal for achieving a resistance workout against the force of the current. There is another function that is equipped in this spa system. It is called tethers. Tethers provide resistance on a swimmer's activity holding them back as they swim against the current pull. It is commonly observed that swimming in one place renders effective exercise to the body than performing traditional laps in a swimming pool. Professional athletes use both the above mentioned methods as a part of their daily regimen.
Another added benefit of this equipment is the underwater hydrotherapy it conducts. And this is because of the water massaging jets and heated water system in the spa. There are built-in, molded seats specially installed for relaxation and getting adequate massages. People who are suffering from ailments like muscle aches, joint pains or arthritis can spend their time in the pool relaxing and exercising in the heated waters.
Benefits of a Swim Spa
- Can be easily installed in an outdoor, indoor, backyard, flat piece of ground or a small location.
- There is no need to excavate a place to install the spa. It can be easily installed in an already existing swimming pool with the help of a few plumbing and bolting tools.
- It is easy to clean the filtration system, add chemicals and maintain the overall spa.
- Using spa regularly can help a swimmer stay fit and well toned. The powerful current gives good massaging effects and helps you to relax.
- The temperature of the water can be set to a pleasant cooling or warming effect.
Swim spas are a good spot to foster amusement and social interaction with parents, families, children or friends. Many parents and small children prefer shallower depths of water and thus, spas befall as the safest alternative to the conventional swimming pools.