One of the vital frequent questions folks ask me about rise up paddle boarding is “What number of energy can I burn”?
I spent a while on-line searching for the proper reply, however figured I’d perform a little “unscientific” analysis alone. So I paddled yesterday utilizing a coronary heart fee monitor and my Polar laptop to offer me a fairly correct image of a typical SUP exercise.
Now, some issues and disclosures. Initially, the guts fee monitor I used is designed for biking. I merely eliminated the pc from my bike and put it in my pocket whereas I paddled. Granted, there could also be some changes to be made for the ‘kind of exercise’, however since giant muscle teams are labored on each biking and paddling, I do not suppose the calorie rely would change a lot.
The opposite consideration is the dimensions and weight of the paddlers. I am 6ft 2in tall and weigh round 225-228. Plus I paddle about 5 days every week which hopefully means my health stage must be a bit increased than the bear’s. means. The typical coronary heart fee would subsequently be a bit decrease.
I carried out my unscientific take a look at on a transparent morning with low tide and little or no wind. The circumstances have been virtually good and had little to no impact on my coaching (versus a powerful head / tail wind and so forth). I paddled an ordinary 12ft board (SupWorks Alpha) which weighs 28 kilos and was utilizing a QuickBlade Kahana carbon fiber paddle.
Listed here are the outcomes….
- Train length: 53:43
- Within the space: 51:32
- Common coronary heart fee: 147 bpm
- Energy Burned: 822kcal
- “Train time” is the full time between once I began paddling and once I stopped.
- “In zone” refers back to the variety of minutes of my coronary heart fee in my “anaerobic zone”. My “Zone” is between 118bpm and 170bpm.
- My common coronary heart fee for the complete coaching cycle was 147 bpm.
- I burned 822 energy throughout the complete exercise. Utilizing the identical information, if I had continued on the similar tempo for a further 6:17 hrs, for a complete exercise time of 60 minutes, I’d have burned a complete of 923 energy per hour. (Sorry I did not do 60 minutes, I simply do a category day by day and do not pay a lot consideration to the time)
So right here is the net-net. I burn 923 energy per hour usually Stand-Up Paddle coaching.
It is attention-grabbing to me that my coronary heart fee was as excessive because it was. On a typical lengthy distance bike trip (on a Cervelo S1) my coronary heart fee averages round 130s. Once I paddle I do not actually really feel like I am working as exhausting as I’m. ‘signifies my coronary heart fee (147). I do not really feel as “overwhelmed” once I end paddling as once I trip.
In order that’s my little examine. I suppose the easy conclusion is that whereas my findings should not “scientific”, they present that paddling is a superb low affect primary exercise. If I burned the 822 energy throughout a typical exercise and did so 5 days every week, I’d lose over 1 pound per week (assuming my calorie consumption stays fixed).