On a recent hot summer morning, my husband, Steve, offered me some ripe, ice-cold, cantaloupe. He said, "Too bad you don't like cantaloupe. It doesn't get any better than this one." I remembered hearing about people clearing a food issue with EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques), so I thought I might as well try it. I had detested eating cantaloupe for as long as I could remember. My sister did not like it either, which made me think that "something" happened while we were eating cantaloupe when we were girls.
The set-up phrases I used (while tapping on my karate chop point) were, Even though :
- I don't like the taste of cantaloupe, and I don't know why, I deeply and completely love and accept myself
- I don't ever remember liking the taste of cantaloupe …
- my sister and I don't like the taste of cantaloupe …
- something may of happened while we were eating cantaloupe, and I don't remember what it was ….
Then I did a round of tapping. For the reminder phrases I used while I tapped on the energy points on my body:
- Don't like cantaloupe
- does not taste good; Don't like the taste
- Don't ever remember liking the taste.
Then I took a taste of cantaloupe. It was cold, somewhat crisp, and felt good in my mouth. It didn't taste quite as bad as I thought it would, but I couldn't say that I liked it. So, I did some more set-up phrases while tapping on my karate chop point. Even though :
- cantaloupe has always tasted yucky to me …
- something happened to make it so I don't like the taste of cantaloupe and I don't remember what it was …
- there is something about the aftertaste of cantaloupe I don't like ….
I did a round of tapping using the following reminder phrases :
- yucky taste
- yucky cantaloupe aftertaste.
For the testing, I took a big bite of cantaloupe. "Yum, not bad," as I continued eating a giant piece of a fresh, juicy, cantaloupe.
In about five minutes, I cleared a food aversion that I have had for over 50 years. Even though I had a sense that something may have happened in my past while I was eating cantaloupe, and even though I couldn't remember exactly what it was, I was still able to clear my resistance to the taste. Now, I can finally enjoy a food that I had eliminated from my diet when I was a child.