Wholesome meal of the week: Turkey sausage pasta
Concept of wholesome leftovers: Mini Pizzas
This wholesome meal of the week got here as I walked the grocery aisles looking for meals and handed a piece that includes varied gadgets for making home made pizzas. Mmmm, my favourite! Apparently, there have been these already pre-made mini pizza crusts that wanted nothing greater than including toppings and baking for 8-10 minutes. A easy pizza for 1/3 the value, tastes fabulous and more healthy too! Every 2/3 of a pizza is about 450 energy, so how significantly better can it’s once you hear the phrase pizza?
Since every of our wholesome meals for the week provided an thought of leftovers, and the turkey sausage was going for use as a pizza topping, it was simple to mix the complement with veggie penne pasta. Both method, you’ll be able to determine which of those meals would be the predominant course and which one you like to have as leftover lunch for the subsequent day – both might be a terrific selection.
– 2 jars – massive and small
– baking sheet (for mini pizzas)
– 10 minutes
– 25 minutes
(4 to six servings)
– 1 bundle of lean turkey sausages
– 1 field of Penne pasta with greens
– 1 small field of sliced olives
– 1 bottle of pasta sauce
– 1-2 massive Portobello mushrooms
– seasonings: garlic powder, salt and pepper
– olive oil
For the mini pizzas
– small pot of pizza sauce
– 2 pack of mini pizza crusts
– grated mozzarella cheese lowered in fats
– extra toppings you like
1. Begin with the turkey sausage as it is going to be used for each pasta and mini pizzas. In a frying pan, at medium temperature, spray with non-stick spray or coat with slightly olive oil. Open the pre-made turkey sausages and place them instantly within the pan as is. Prepare dinner for a couple of minutes on either side then gently roll them up with a fork. Let either side cook dinner completely. The full cooking time might be roughly 22-24 minutes.
2. When you cook dinner the sausages, you can begin boiling the water for the pasta. Add a number of dashes of seasoned salt for taste. As soon as the water is boiling, add the complete can of pasta to the greens and cook dinner for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often.
3. In a small saucepan at low warmth, add the bottle of pasta sauce. Rinse the Portobello mushrooms and reduce them into items and add 3/4 of them with 3/4 of the sliced olives within the sauce. You’ll be able to add garlic powder and pepper for taste. Cowl and stir often for 10-14 minutes.
4. As soon as the turkey sausages are cooked, take away them from the warmth and, utilizing a knife, fastidiously reduce every into small items. 3/4 of the sausages might be used for the pasta and the opposite 1/4 for the mini pizzas in case you are making them, so hold that in thoughts.
5. When the pasta is completed cooking, take away from the warmth and drain over the sink utilizing a colander. As soon as the water is eliminated, return to the pot (no warmth) and stir within the pasta sauce with 3/4 of the sliced turkey sausages.
6. Serve an acceptable portion, garnish with slightly Parmesan or low fats mozzarella cheese if desired with a 0 calorie drink. You’ll be able to nonetheless serve a inexperienced salad with Italian dressing for those who like, however attempt to keep away from breadsticks as this can improve the calorie depend fairly rapidly.
Wholesome Leftover Concept: Mini Pizzas
As talked about earlier than, I used to be torn with which meal needs to be the principle course and which for the leftovers. When you do these two beauties, you might have the identical drawback. In case your native grocery store does not have mini pizza crusts or one thing related, you might have to both bake / bake the dough from scratch or use another option like Pillsbury croissants / rolls or muffins. complete wheat English and put the pizza toppings in it.
On this instance, every little thing was ready and able to cook dinner in lower than 5 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425 levels. Frivolously coat each side of the mini pizza crust with olive oil, sprinkle with seasoned salt and pepper. Utilizing 3-4 tablespoons of pizza sauce unfold over a complete aspect of the pizza crust. Add a skinny layer of grated reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, then add the sliced olives, diced Portobello mushrooms and sliced turkey sausage. Lastly, sprinkle some extra cheese on high and place it on a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes and once you’re finished, slice and luxuriate in!