The crafts and artwork in Pieve di Teco are very well-known. Hand-forged wrought iron creations, subtle stained glass home windows in lovely colours … are probably the most valuable artisan merchandise created by the skillful palms of the creative masters Pieve. Furnishing and design jewels, to be found by strolling via the historic middle of Pieve di Teco, in workshops within the shade of monumental Gothic arcades and doorways carved in stone, the place up to now the perpetual noise sounded hammers of a whole lot shoemakers who, in the identical tiny workshops, made indestructible studded boots. An historic approach whose solely reminiscence stays the present handmade manufacture of looking, mountaineering, climbing and snowboarding boots.
The arches of those medieval porticoes are curiously organized at totally different ranges in order that the homes of aristocratic households, who had the best to construct greater porticoes, stand out from these of the remainder of the inhabitants. Pieve di Teco is a very fashionable village, whose origins date again to the twelfth century, when the Marquises of Clavesana constructed a mansion on the foundations of Teichos, the previous navy camp of Byzantine origin, which with the plebe title (central neighborhood), contributed to the title of the village. The present village was constructed a century later, when the lord of the fortress granted sure peasants the best to construct a village close to the Oratory of Saint-Jean-Baptiste. It was a strategic place to use the commerce between the Ligurian coast and Piedmont.
Quickly Pieve di Teco turned the wealthy house of many merchandise: paper, sneakers, cleaning soap, ropes, materials and leather-based. A industrial origin and a vocation that may guarantee wealth and prosperity, as the good creative shoppers show. The architect Gaetano Cantoni, an necessary determine in Ligurian-Lombard neoclassicism, was commissioned to design the brand new majestic parish church: the Collegiate Church of Saint-Jean-Baptiste. Work started in 1785 with the demolition of the previous Romanesque church and resulted in 1806.
Beneath the heavy dome, the basilica preserves artistic endeavors such because the wood crucifix by Francesco Schiaffino, the Martyr of Saint Sebastian by Giulio Benso, an area painter (1601-1668), the Final Supper by Domenico Piola and San Francesco da Paola, hand attributed by Luca Cambiaso. Earlier than that point, the parish church was the fifteenth century Chiesa di Santa Maria della Ripa, now desecrated, which retains a fifteenth century bell tower. The place the River Armo meets the Arrogna, rises the Sanctuary of the Madonna of the Mud, a late Baroque constructing, as its unusual title confirms, in a muddy space as a result of abundance of water. Different necessary monuments are the San Lazzaro Hospital with its magnificent fifteenth century portal and the Convento degli Agostiniani, which has the biggest cloister in western Liguria. A little bit greater, stretch the thick and interesting woods of Cappuccini, with their century-old bushes.