Not so way back, novelist Marilynne Robinson printed an article within the New York Occasions on Biblical references in literature, which received me eager about the names of firms and merchandise impressed by the Bible.
Surprisingly, there aren’t many.
Robinson identified in his article: “Biblical allusions could recommend a sure diploma of seriousness or significance.” They’ve gravity and resonance and point out a complexity of expertise, she famous.
I imagine these factors can also apply the place biblical allusions seem in commerce names. Because of widespread schooling in spiritual religion, impressed names from the Bible usually draw on a properly of familiarity. They’ve extra potential for relevance and long-term recognition than references from motion pictures, songs, and different parts of standard tradition.
In case you are operating a secular enterprise, you would possibly wish to keep away from a non secular taste. Nevertheless, as you will note in many of the examples beneath, Bible references aren’t essentially thought-about bigoted or pious.
Names of biblical origin fall into these classes:
1. Characters from the Bible. For instance:
* Samsonite – After Samson, the legendary strongman of the Outdated Testomony.
* Lot’s Spouse’s Connoisseur Sea Salt – A reference to the lady married to Abraham’s nephew, who was warned to not look again as they fled the hearth and brimstone of Sodom and Gomorrah. She did, nevertheless, and was changed into a column of salt.
* Bezalel Cash – Within the E book of Exodus, Bezalel was a grasp craftsman chosen to craft the Ark of the Covenant and different sacred objects.
2. Phrases, phrases or ideas from the Bible, particularly from the E book of Proverbs, but in addition from different elements of the Bible.
* Iron Males – A two-man building firm in Michigan named after Proverbs 27:17, “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens one other.”
* Apples of Gold – An internet jewellery firm that explicitly notes a reference to Proverbs 25:11, “A correctly spoken phrase is like apples of gold, in silver frames.”
* Forbidden Fruit – A retailer in Austin, Texas that sells (ahem) grownup toys, named after the scene within the Backyard of Eden the place naughty Eve persuades Adam to eat fruit from the Tree of Information, that God forbade them to eat.
3. Chapter or verse numbers. This type of Bible reference shocked me, as a result of most individuals can not cite chapter and verse from reminiscence for acquainted Bible passages. Nevertheless, when defined, these allusions resonate.
* Health 9:27 – A private coaching firm whose title factors to I Corinthians 9:27: “I’ve overwhelmed my physique and made it my slave in order that after preaching to others, I can’t be disqualified for the value.”
* Thirty-One – A direct promoting firm providing purses, tote luggage and organizational merchandise, whose mission to have fun, encourage and reward ladies parallels the evocation of the lady of valor in Proverbs 31.
In North America, Biblical references – particularly these from the Outdated Testomony – are likely to have an ecumenical taste and don’t essentially determine you with a specific faith. Nevertheless, internationally, this can be much less true.
Whereas discussing firm names with a person who supposed to arrange his head workplace in Dubai with an organization title in English, I requested him to make use of the title Solomon to evoke knowledge. “No, that may be seen as Jewish. Islam has the identical quantity however refers to him as Suleiman.” And naturally, in India or Indonesia, King Solomon can not evoke any affiliation.