Ayurveda and Yoga are sister Vedic sciences which were united for 1000’s of years for the aim of therapeutic physique, thoughts and conscience. Typically talking, Ayurveda offers extra with the well being of the physique, whereas yoga offers with the purification of the thoughts and consciousness, however in actuality, they complement and embrace one another.
The traditional rishis (seers) have been the unique masters of all Vedic sciences. They understood that good well being is a superb asset on the trail to self-actualization. If the physique is uncared for, it might simply develop into an impediment to non secular apply. Anybody who has practiced meditation for some time would agree on how troublesome it may be to sit down for lengthy intervals of time with out feeling discomfort and fatigue. Yoga and Ayurveda are mutually reinforcing and supply some ways to forestall and remedy varied problems in addition to to cleanse and rejuvenate the physique.
Along with sharing a philosophical foundation, the 2 techniques have many similarities with regard to angle, vitamin, weight loss plan, hygiene, train, cleansing practices, in addition to non secular practices. Historically, a yoga scholar first lived close to the guru and served him for a few years, throughout which era he would study wholesome habits. The fundamental Ayurvedic rules for well being and longevity had handed down the lineage in oral type to function the premise for a lifetime of sadhana (non secular apply).
These days, the teachings of yoga are simply accessible to all, and whether or not they’re ready or not, we are able to soar headlong into its apply. This has its blessings, in that extra individuals may be drawn to the teachings, though a lot is usually misplaced with out the parampara, or slim management on the toes of an achieved grasp. With this in thoughts, fashionable yoga practitioners would most actually profit from a primary information of Ayurveda to assist set up a wholesome day by day routine and alter their apply primarily based on construct, dosha imbalance, season, and so on. ., to forestall illness and promote longevity.
First, let’s check out the similarities between yoga and Ayurveda:
* Each are historic Vedic teachings. Yoga originates from the Yajur Veda, whereas Ayurveda originates from the Atharva Veda and Rig Veda.
* Each acknowledge that conserving the physique wholesome is important to reaching the 4 targets of life: Dharma (responsibility), Artha (wealth), Kama (need) and Moksha (liberation).
* Each acknowledge that the steadiness of doshas (moods), dhatus (tissues) and malas (waste merchandise) is important for the upkeep of fine well being.
* The 2 share just about the identical anatomy and metaphysical physiology, which consists of 72,000 nadis (delicate channels), 7 major chakras (power facilities), 5 bodily sheaths, and Kundalini Shakti (power).
* Each advocate the usage of weight loss plan, herbs, asanas, pranayama, meditation, mantra, astrology, prayer, puja and rituals to heal the entire being.
* Each promote bodily well being as a very good basis for psychological, emotional and non secular well-being.
* Each share the identical viewpoint on psychology. Ayurveda encompasses the six main faculties of philosophy, together with the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali and Vedanta (a non-dual philosophical and non secular path). They each perceive that attachment to the body-mind complicated is the foundation reason behind all struggling, and that the last word state of well being is skilled after we abide in our true nature, which is whole peace, it doesn’t matter what. state of the bodily physique.
* Each use cleaning strategies for the physique, all of which encourage the elimination of wastes and toxins via their pure routes of elimination. Ayurveda has panchakarma (5 cleaning actions) and yoga makes use of Shat Karma (six cleaning actions).
Ayurvedic strategy to the apply of asanas
The usage of asana, pranayama and meditation for therapeutic is named Yoga Chikitsa or Yoga Remedy and has been used for 1000’s of years by followers of Ayurvedic and Yogi. In Yoga Chikitsa, a gaggle of yogic workouts are chosen which can finest assist the person and are practiced day by day. This may be performed over a protracted time frame together with an Ayurvedic weight loss plan and natural and weight loss plan therapies. Yoga Chikitsa additionally performs an important position within the Ayurvedic cleaning and rejuvenation course of often known as panchakarma.
For a well-balanced private yoga apply, you will need to consider the person’s physique construction, prakruti (authentic structure) and vikruti (present constitutional imbalance). The next are normal suggestions relying on the predominant dosha.
Vata predominant individuals ought to bear in mind to concentrate on calming, grounding, stillness, strengthening, and steadiness whereas doing their apply.
Precautions for vata:
* Vinyasa or circulate yoga types have a tendency to modify between poses too rapidly and may worsen the hyper-mobile high quality of vata over time. Move sequences may be made extra peaceable if they don’t seem to be excessively lengthy, the size of time the poses are held is prolonged, and the transitions are made slowly and consciously.
* These with decrease again issues might discover that bending the knees whereas standing in ahead turns can forestall discomfort.
* Backing turns ought to be performed slowly, fastidiously and inside your individual limits.
Pitta individuals ought to keep a relaxed, cool and relaxed intention whereas doing asanas. Pitta sorts can profit from making an attempt to domesticate an angle of forgiveness and giving up or providing the fruits of their apply to the divine or to these in want of optimistic therapeutic power. As a result of the apply of asanas tends to generate warmth within the physique, it’s best to do them in the course of the cooler hours of the day, comparable to daybreak or nightfall. Additionally, it is useful to concentrate on poses that assist launch extra physique warmth, comparable to poses that compress the photo voltaic plexus and poses that open up the chest.
Kapha sorts are usually sedentary and sometimes dislike vigorous train. For that reason, their apply ought to be energetic, warming, enlightening and stimulating, supplied they’re bodily succesful. Vinyasa or circulate model yoga is sweet for kapha as a result of it’s dynamic and strikes rapidly from pose to pose, induces perspiration and makes the guts beat sooner.
Yoga poses that tackle particular doshic points may be simply added to an Ayurvedic weight loss plan and included into an present yoga routine, or they are often organized in a small session with the assistance of an Ayurvedic clinician who’s accustomed to every particular person case. and can assist with the set-up. a well-balanced program primarily based on the wants of every consumer.
Ayurveda additionally gives Yoga Chikitsa, or Yoga Remedy, for particular doshic problems. It’s advisable to seek the advice of an Ayurvedic practitioner for an individualized weight loss plan.
Ayurvedic strategy to pranayama (respiratory strategies).
The last word objective of pranayama is to calm the thoughts and put together it for meditation. It additionally has a therapeutic impact on the bodily physique. It isn’t important to do dosha pranayama apply, however understanding its results on the physique is a beneficial device for dosha administration. Under is a normal checklist of dosha pranayama and bandha workouts.
Vata: Nadi Shodhana, Kapala Bhati, Agnisara Dhauti, Ujjayi, Tri Bandha, Maha Mudra.
Pitta: Sheetali or Sitkari, Nadi shodhana.
Kapha: Bastrika, Agnisara Dhauti, Kapala Bhati, Ashvini Mudra (contracting and releasing Mula Bandha), Ashvini Mudra, Ujjayi, Tri Bandha, Maha Mudra.
As well as, the 4 Purifications taught in our workshops are an historic methodology of Ashtanga Yoga to purify the gross and delicate physique to be able to put together it for extra superior practices. They’re tridoshic and secure for everybody, supplied they’re carried out appropriately.
Meditation in response to Dosha.
These non secular paths and their meditation strategies may be practiced by anybody, no matter their prakruti. This checklist is barely meant to offer an thought of how the dosha can assist or affect one’s non secular apply. Many yoga traditions combine varied features of the paths listed right here.
* Vata: Kriya Yoga or Ashtanga Yoga and different structured strategies assist to maintain vata stabilized and centered.
* Pitta: Jnana Yoga and Vedanta are good for pitta sorts as a result of they usually have sharp minds and have a eager curiosity in self-study (Atma-vichara).
* Kapha: Bhakti yoga is pure for Kapha sorts as they’re usually loving and devotional by nature.
Ayurvedic and yogic weight loss plan.
Ayurveda is extra involved with the constitutional steadiness of meals, whereas yoga promotes a sattwic weight loss plan (gentle and pure). A mix of the 2 features is your best option for a yogi or anybody wishing to make actual progress on a non secular path.
Ayurvedic weight loss plan:
* In response to dosha.
* Primarily vegetarian (meat is used as drugs, primarily for excessive deficiencies).
* Largely cooked (uncooked meals moderately, particularly for vata sorts).
* Containing six flavors.
Yogic weight loss plan:
* Sattwic vegetarian weight loss plan.
* Straightforward to digest.
* Easy meals (to restrict need).
* Each cooked and uncooked.
* Meals really useful in Hatha Yoga Pradipika include rejuvenating substances comparable to wheat, complete grains, white basmati, corn, uncooked milk, uncooked sugar, butter, ghee, honey, dried ginger , mung beans, pure water, greens.
* Fruits, roots and nuts.
* Keep away from meals which can be too scorching, bitter, salty, fermented and fried.
* Keep away from tamasic (uninteresting) meals like meat, onions, garlic and mushrooms as a part of the day by day weight loss plan.
Cleaning in Yoga and Ayurveda.
Ayurveda and Yoga each concentrate on cleaning the physique for well being and supporting non secular practices. Their strategies are comparable and work by expelling extra dosha and ama, or toxins, utilizing the physique’s pure elimination pathways.
The yogic methodology is understood within the Ashtanga custom as Shat Karma, or six measures of cleaning. These are:
1. Neti (nasal cleaning):
Jala neti (salt water rinse of the sinuses).
Sutra neti (nasal cleaning with string).
2. Dhauti (washing the gastrointestinal tract).
Tooth, tongue, eyes, ears and brow.
Vamana Dhauti (vomiting of salt water).
Vastra Dhauti (wash with a fabric).
Varisara Dhauti (washing with water for purgation).
3. Basti (enema).
4. Trataka (washing the brow, trying right into a candle flame).
5. Nauli (bowel washing, belly rolling).
6. Kapala Bhati (shiny cranium).
The Ayurvedic methodology of cleaning and rejuvenation is named panchakarma (pancha karma), or 5 cleaning actions. This program is normally performed for every week or two, however may also be performed for longer intervals as applicable. The 5 actions of this methodology are:
1. Basti (enema).
2. Nasya (nasal software of herbs and vegetable oils).
3. Vamana (therapeutic vomiting).
4. Virechana (purge).
5. Rakta Moksha (Letting out blood).
It’s apparent that Ayurveda and yoga don’t solely complement one another. The 2 sciences truly embrace as a result of they share similarities and primary rules on many ranges. Ayurveda and Yoga should go hand in hand if we’re to attain optimum well being, peace and longevity.